Sunday, January 28, 2018

8 Minute Memoir, Day 33: Halloween

I love fall and all of its associated indicators--a chill in the air, leaves turning vibrant colors and falling on the breeze, pumpkin spice lattes--and growing up, also loved Halloween.  I've never been a fan of haunted houses and the like (still not, haha) but I loved a good trick-or-treating adventure.  I certainly had my fair share of interesting costumes over the years.  I lived on a street in a relatively small neighborhood, which wasn't exactly the most exciting for the candy game.  When I was younger, we went trick-or-treating at the houses of our family members, via car.  As we got older, into grade and middle school, we went to our friends' houses--and we always knew which of their neighbors was giving cans of soda and full sized candy bars.

By the time I was in high school my interest waned; in college, I had several dorm-mates every year who went as a "Sexy (fill in the blank)" and went out to, well, black out... but that was never my speed.  In fact, I only dress up now for work; I'm still pretty unlikely to go out and celebrate on my own accord.  It's fun to observe others getting into it, but that's how I like it to remain.  I expect that may change if we are lucky enough to have kids; I would be surprised if it didn't.  For now, I will reminisce on brisk, chilly nights soaking up every second of that sanctioned candy gathering time, excitedly sorting out our haul in costume, with scary movies in the background and jack-o-lanterns twinkling away on the front porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment