Monday, June 13, 2016

Jess Goes Running: Marathon Training--Week 1


[week 1]

First week of marathon training is in the books!  I've been anticipating this since the end of April so it's nice to actually have started the training plan.  All in all, I feel like it went pretty well.

I tried using Strava earlier this week but had some issues with the GPS and inconsistencies with the distances I was running.  For now, I am switching back to what I typically use (MapMyRun) until I get a GPS watch, which will hopefully be sometime this month or next.

Tuesday was a fine run.  Wednesday and Thursday I felt a little less motivated, but I went out anyway and as per usual was glad that I had.  I had a break of two days in between runs and I found that I was actually feeling pretty excited to get out there and go running yesterday for my long run.  Technically, Saturday was a cross-training day.  However, Saturday was also our 5th wedding anniversary, so I also took it a little easier than I normally would.  

And I feel like I made it up for it with the long run anyway.  I was happy with how it went, but would have been faster had I been more adequately hydrated.  Also, my headphones ran out of batteries at about mile 3 or 6.  It ended up being pretty enjoyable despite different from what I am used to.  I found myself seeking out a rhythm in the waves crashing on the shore, the sounds of the city and it sustained me for quite a while (though I did find myself wanting that musical motivation near the end of the run for sure!)  I felt pretty good at the end regardless and am glad that my first week of training finished on such a strong note.  I think I might just be able to do this thing after all!


I have been reaching out to other runners on social media and doing research as I move onto week 2.  I feel like I am getting stronger and growing in my knowledge, which is great!  No matter what happens, I will grow from this experience.  I know it's early, but I am feeling pretty optimistic and pretty excited!

This week will include a 10K as part of my long run on Sunday (the Ricky Byrdsong Race Against Hate 10K in Evanston), plus one mile that I'll tack on at some point.  I'll be doing this race with T. and his friend, and I'm looking forward to checking out the course.  It'll be my first race since the Tough Mudder Half a few weeks ago and, before that, the Ravenswood 5K.  I am glad that the summer race schedule is underway!

No comments:

Post a Comment