Monday, February 17, 2014

On a Sunday

The alarm went off at 4:05 a.m.  I had already been up for a few minutes, though, and rolled out of bed with a yawn.  For as much as I dislike getting up so very early, there is something incredibly peaceful about driving to work at 4:30 in the morning; Mannheim was all but deserted and there were barely any other vehicles on 294 either.  I made it up to work in plenty of time and by five minutes to 5, I was clocked in and starting my day.

Mornings at my job are always a race against the clock--some go better than others, that's for sure.  This one was one of the good ones and helped set the tone for the rest of the day.  Another advantage to starting work at 5 a.m.?  You're on lunch by 9:00 and ending your shift at 1, leaving you with the rest of the day, and night, really, to do whatever your heart desires.  By 1:05, I was in my (new!!!) car and heading for the apartment.

That's right, I bought a new car!  Some of you may recall my previous vehicle, a 1998 Chevy Cavalier.  I loved the hell out of that car and drove it from October 2005 to September 2012.  It went with me to college and road trips and often spent weekends parked in the city, right on Newgard.  Unfortunately, a rusted subframe was the cause of its demise; it was a tough decision, but we called Victory Auto Wreckers and they towed it away.

Since we said goodbye to the Cav, I have been driving my mother-in-law's 2003 Mitsubishi Galant.  It was an arrangement that worked out well; she had someone regularly driving the car that would otherwise just be sitting, and I would have wheels to get around.  Moving out of her house, though, facilitated a need for a car of my own.  So, last week, on a snowy morning, T. and I went out and found a vehicle!  I ended up with a 2012 Nissan Sentra, and I am in love.  It is so much fun to drive and it is a cute little ride.  I feel very proud of it, and am strangely excited for all of the responsibility that it brings.  Just as I have found it nice to have a space of my own once more, I am also enjoying having my own car again.

Anyway, the husband has a "normal person" schedule, working banker's hours, or close enough to them, so he was off on Sunday.  I got home, showered, had a quick lunch, and then the two of us decided to take the Sentra on a road trip!  The inaugural Sunday drive.  It was a nice and sunny afternoon, and we didn't have anything better to do, really.  We hopped on 94 and made our way to Kenosha, just on the other side of the border, for a trip to Woodman's to stock up on our favorite Wisconsin beer (one that is not available in the Land of Lincoln).

After the drive back, we settled in and relaxed.  T. put a pork loin roast in the slow cooker before we left on our little adventure, and when we got back, it was simmering away.  We ended up having to wait a long time for it, but the pulled pork that resorted was phenomenal, in my opinion.  It was nice to stay up late, to enjoy cold beer and the courses we'd come up with for our dinner, spread out over a few hours.  We ended up going to bed shortly after dinner, which was more than okay with both of us; we were happy and content and I had been up for over 20 hours, anyway.  It was more or less a perfect Sunday, the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment