Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Tabula Rasa

When I was a young girl, I discovered the power of the written word.  And ever since then, I have been in love.  Here I am, at the beginning of a brand new year (2014...  "Aren't we supposed to have flying cars by now?")  and, like many others, I find myself enthralled and intrigued by the turning of the calendar page, the start of something fresh, a blank slate.

Truthfully, I have been working on becoming the best person I can be for a long time, but the New Year is a convenient opportunity to reinforce and revisit this growth and the goals that I have set for myself.  I am turning twenty-six years old in March, and really, there's no better time than the present!  I know I still have a lot to learn, but only recently have I begun to feel like I am coming into my own as a so-called "grown up" and I really do feel like the next few years are going to be some of the best times of my life.  I've changed a lot in the years since I started writing over at Miles of Serendipity, but that girl is still present--adventurous, passionate, dedicated.  A hopeless romantic with big dreams.  In many ways, those traits have magnified and expanded as I have gotten older, and I'd like to say I'm a little wiser, too.  And happier.

What would I like to accomplish in 2014?  For starters, I'd like to get more sleep, eat better, and read more, because that was something sincerely lacking in 2013.  I'd like to do more writing--in my paper journal, on a blog, poems and fiction pieces and notes for that future memoir.  I want to run more, run often, run all the time--and this year, in addition to the 5K races I have come to love, I will run in my very first half marathon!  Today I signed up for the Chicago Half Marathon, and I am excited to start training next week.  I also want to continue to fall further and deeper in love with my husband (who is my best friend, my champion, and the greatest thing that has ever happened to me), tend to and cherish my relationships with family and friends, and foster new acquaintances.  I hope to travel more and see more of the world.  I want to live life to the fullest, completely.

So here's to 2014, and a brand new home to document all of my adventures, wherever the road may take me.



"Dwell on the beauty of life.  Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them."
Marcus Aurelius, Meditations.

No comments:

Post a Comment