Friday, February 9, 2018

8 Minute Memoir, Day 45: Something Scary


Something scary that I have done in the last two weeks...  I haven't exactly been going outside of my comfort zone especially considering that I spent one of the last two weeks sick with what was probably the flu, just with weaker symptoms cause I got the shot in December.  Anyway... something scary... probably driving in the recent bouts of snowfall we've had.

After all, it's February, but I feel like we've been pretty lucky so far to have a pretty mild winter with not a ton of snowfall.  But I got stuck either commuting to or from the suburbs for work during the last most recent snows (with the exception of the snowstorm that hit last night) and that has been pretty nervewracking.  Monday night, on the Edens, behind slow moving cars with semis flying by, the road conditions just awful.  And I'm drivng the new car, the Fit, which I love and which has good handling, but also has the standard all-weather tires, so it doesn't necessarily handle the snow very well.  Not to mention, I still haven't been driving the car for very long, so I'm still getting used to it.

In general, I am confident in my driving abilities, especially in the snow.  I am less confident about others, but trust that good driving will work in my favor.  I had to drive to work in poor conditions when I opened Wednesday morning; I left earlier than usual and still showed up a little later than normal.  Needless to say, I was definitely awake that morning as soon as I pulled out from my parking spot and turned out onto Granville.  Tomorrow I'll have to dig the car out and make the drive to the suburbs; I'm hoping that enough time will have passed that the roads won't be too horrible, that I'll be able to get to work without much incident.

I'm glad that it's already almost the middle of February... somehow this always manages to be both the shortest and the longest months, and I am glad that it'll be March soon enough.  It's the Midwest so there's always the possibility of snow even until spring, but it's nice to know that we are eventually going to see a light at the end of the tunnel.  Until then, I'll be dreaming of sunshine and warmer weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment