Thursday, November 16, 2017

8 Minute Memoir, Day 29: Birth Order

I find birth order to be quite an intriguing concept.  Though I think the stereotypes that go along with birth order can be a bit much sometimes, I do think there is some truth to it.  I've seen it not only in my own family, but in others as well.  I looked up a list of birth order traits to see what the most commonly held ideals were and I found it pretty interesting, especially when applied to my own life.

I'm both an older and a middle sibling, so that means I'm filled with ambition and responsibility but I'm also looking for a middle ground.  I'm a peacekeeper but I'm generally on the side of what is right or fair in the current rule of law.  I find I'm pretty driven and I'm good setting the example.  I don't really feel like I fit the "middle child" stereotype of being invisible or feeling left out, which is something I will certainly be cognizant of should I have an oldest, middle, and youngest child. 

I think birth order effects you as much as your geographic location growing up or your home environment.  While I've seen the typical traits play out in those around me, I also have friends whose families do not necessarily fit the types of personality dictated by birth order.  (If I ever go back to school, it will be to study psychology because I just find it so damn fascinating and also because I get to see psychology in action at work every day.  Pretty neat stuff!)

No comments:

Post a Comment