Friday, February 17, 2017

8 Minute Memoir, Day 16: Learning New Things

I have always been an interested learner.  If it made more sense financially for me, I'd probably have gone back to school by now to get a graduate degree.  Instead, I strive to keep learning and growing my knowledge of, well, everything!  I know this is a great way to become a well rounded and enlightened person and I definitely love learning.

Getting outside of my comfort zone is really important.  Sometimes, for me, this means trying new kinds of food or pushing myself to go to yoga class.  I've worked hard to learn more about running--everything from mechanics to nutrition to form--and I feel as though it is absolutely beneficial for me to keep reading and getting more information.  In the end, this will help me to be a better runner.

I have a library card and have used it to check out some great books!  Being a member of the Chicago Public Library is a huge benefit and I highly suggest that anyone get a card from their local library.  I also like to do a lot of research on the internet.  Obviously there is a large amount of information to sift through but I try to make sure I'm getting my information and knowledge from reputable sources.  I am also a fan of NPR and PBS on the visual side, and I try to learn about cooking or painting or anything I might find interesting!

One of my goals for this year is to try and become a better cook, and in doing so I have been learning more about the art.  just the other week I made Hasselback chicken breasts stuffed with goat cheese and spinich, with a quinoa rice blend and sauteed asparagus.  it was delicious!  It was totally outside of my comfort zone, but certainly a dinner I would make again.  I have been researching via Pinterest and recipes that I find online.  I would ideally like to cook something new once a week in an effort to learn more about cooking but also to try new and different things I might previously have avoided.  So far, this has been a valuable experience for me--and exciting to try new meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment