Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Lately, Currently.





[Reading]  I have started a few different books this year, but nothing that has really held my attention, unfortunately.  I did recently start reading Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman, and so far I am really enjoying it...  It feels appropriate with the arrival of spring in Chicago.  In general, I would like to be reading more but find that I do not have as much time for it as I would like at the moment--and sometimes, that's just life!

[Doing]  Well...  with the warmer weather the last few weeks, I've been doing more running and I love it.  Though I took a little hiatus from it over the coldest months, it is great to get back into it and I can't wait for another spring, summer, and fall to spend running all over this city!  T. has started running, too, and running with him is making me faster.  In fact, just this last weekend, T. and I participated in our first 5K together and it was a blast!  I also ran in the Shamrock Shuffle 8K again this year and really enjoyed it.  Expect race reports soon.  I also have more exciting running related news...  I registered for the lottery to run in the Chicago Marathon and, well, I received an entry!  You read that right--I start training in June to run the Chicago Marathon in October.  Eek!  More to come on that soon, too.

[Thinking About]  Marathon training, and the prep for that.  T. has been stepping up his athletic pursuits, signing up for a century bike ride in June.  I am super impressed with that and don't think I'd be able to do it, but I know he will be able to handle it no problem!  We also attended the wedding of one of my oldest friends over the weekend, and it was so delightfully wonderful.  (C. and M., we are so happy for you both! <3)  I'm also thinking about my siblings...  I've been lucky enough to see two out of the three a few times over the last month or two.  My sister and niece were up in Northern Illinois for five weeks while she completed a pharmacy school rotation, staying with my parents.  It was so much fun to hang out with them and I am so blessed to have had the opportunities.

I got to see my little brother J. as well, and I am especially excited for the upcoming weekend: he got me tickets to see a taping of Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me on Thursday, and on Friday he and I will be going to the Cubs game at Wrigley!  Perfect sibling time.  (Special shout to my big brother in the desert--I love you and miss you!)

[Watching]  We just finished season 2 of Better Call Saul and I can't believe I have to wait a year to see what happens next!  I have also been super into Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown and The Layover on Netflix...  they play to my wanderlust so very well, and I love the edu-tainment aspect of it all.  So good.

[Feeling Thankful]  For days and nights where the weather is perfect and I hit that stride while running with total ease.  Lots of laughter with my siblings and my niece, the tiny red-headed wonder.  For the opportunity to challenge myself with 26.2 miles.  Also, especially grateful for a four-day weekend coming up--a chance to refresh and refocus and spend lots of time with the mister.

[Loving]  Having several different destination options for the upcoming weekend!  The arrival of spring into Chicago--the blocks near our apartment are exploding with color and light.  Long runs down the Lakefront Trail and nighttime adventures near the shore, watching the lightning on the horizon.  Exploring new restaurants and finding new places nearby.  My niece's laugh and her easy-going and laid back demeanor...she is just the best, and I am a lucky aunt!  Man, life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment