Friday, November 7, 2014

A November Chill; a Spark of Excitement

Oh, November.  How is it possible that you're here?  I write a lot about the passage of time on this blog, and how fast it seems to be passing me by, but seriously?  2014 JUST started.  And now we're winding down, getting ready for the next one.  I had a conversation with a coworker a while ago, one who is 35-40 years older than I am, about how as you get older, time passes by more and more quickly because of all the life and years you have accumulated in your past.  And I believe it's true.  I'm only 26 of course, so I'm quite young still (although I am less than 4 years away from 30 and that's weird) but, looking back on those 26 years, I definitely remember my perception of time moving way more slowly when I was 6 or even 16.  Now I blink and several months pass.

I believe the wise Ferris Bueller said it best: "Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

So despite the fact that my mind is still wrapping itself around November's arrival, I'm trying to do just that.  Stopping to look around when I can.  Even though we are definitely entering our busy season at work--I am in the business of food and wine, after all, and what do people want more on Thanksgiving besides family togetherness?  Food!  And wine/beer/spirits.  And probably football.  Needless to say, it is no longer the relaxing coast into December and winter holidays like it used to be in my younger years, but truthfully I wouldn't have it any other way.  I am incredibly fortunate to love my job; I love this time of the year around there and looking forward to the next few months.

Because this is my first holiday season on the management team, and because I am working on accomplishing my running goals and getting in better physical and emotional state, I have decided to take a break from NaNoWriMo this year.  It makes me a little bit sad, because I am always so excited about it, and I love the thrill and challenge of writing 50,000 words (or more!) in 30 days.  I've written a lot of fun things and am proud of those accomplishments.

This year though, I started over twice in the first two days because it just didn't feel right, and shortly thereafter I concluded that maybe a break wouldn't be terrible.  I'm working an additional 10+ hour a week this year, and I will need sleep more than ever.  Besides that, I have a lot of motivation in focus on the running and fitness sides of things, and I think that's really important for me right now.  NaNoWriMo will be there for me next year, and there's always Camp NaNoWriMo in the interim months as well!

Needless to say, there's a lot going on, with busy times at work, and get togethers with family and friends, and running goals, and random adventures along the way.  There may be snow in the forecast for next week, but somehow I don't even mind all that much! (Though I'm definitely not looking forward to running in it...)  I'm delighted for the possibility that lies ahead in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment