Thursday, June 12, 2014

Journal Day: On Love and Soul Mates

Journal Day is back!  Here is this week's thought provoking prompt, courtesy of Sometimes Sweet:

"Let's talk about love. Do you believe in the idea of a soulmate? Do you think there is one person for everyone- and do you think that no matter what, if you're "supposed" to meet that person you will? This week, talk about your experience with love and discuss what you believe, and also be sure to touch on what helped shape those beliefs."


Came home from bowling with my brother yesterday to find these beautiful flowers waiting for me... lovely roses for our third anniversary.

Sixteen-year-old Jess would have said yes, absolutely, soul mates exist.  That "one person for everyone" is a reality and that somehow, someway, people always end up with that one person they are supposed to be with, no matter what.  At twenty-six, I've come to realize that it's a REALLY big world out there--over 7 billion humans strong, now--and the chances of both having one person that you are destined to be with and also finding that one person are pretty statistically small.

BUT!  Sometimes, if you are lucky, you get the opportunity to go through life with someone who has the same thoughts and ideals and likes similar things to you.  Sometimes you find a connection with someone who brightens and enhances your life in ways you never thought possible, ways you never realized you needed; like looking at a painting for the umpteenth time and noticing something that you've never seen before, something beautiful, something completely new to you.  And even though life is chaotic and crazy and unpredictable and nothing can be planned or known for certain, maybe you feel like you should have been with that person all along... as if it was meant to be.  So who knows?  Maybe soul mates do exist, maybe they don't.

Here's what I can tell you, though: yesterday, I celebrated 3 years of marriage with my husband and they have been the best three years I have ever had.  I've said it before and I will say it again...  there is no one that I would rather explore this crazy adventure called life with than him.  We've been together for eight years, and I fall for him him more every single day.  The feelings we have for one another, the love and adoration and contentment I feel with him and for him, are stronger than anything else I've ever experienced.  Perhaps he is my soul mate.  In any case, he is my best friend, my partner in crime, and the greatest love of my life, and right now, that is more than enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment