Monday, April 28, 2014

Half Marathon Training: Week 4, Day 1


(Waiting for the surgeon; wearing my Dirty Girl 5K sweatshirt--so warm and cozy!--and a bandaged finger.  Photo courtesy of the husband's Instagram.)

Just a quick update...  yesterday, I worked 5am-1pm and was looking forward to going for a run once I got back, my long run for the week.  Instead, I ended up spending three hours in the emergency room.  I got a small piece of glass in my finger as a result of a small accident at work and was not able to get it out myself.  Unfortunately, after three hours, the resident and the attending were not able to get it out either, so they sent me home with a prescription for antibiotics and a referral for a hand surgeon.  It made for a slightly long day and rough night.

Today, I somehow thankfully managed to get an appointment with the referral doctor, who opted to leave the glass in place.  It's a small shard(s), in an area where it really can't do much damage (no tendons or anything like that in the way) and it will either break up into smaller pieces or come out on its own.  Surgery would have been like a needle in the haystack situation, and the surgeon did not feel that it was worth the risk.  I have a follow up appointment in three weeks, and I'm spending the next few days taking it easy.

So... I missed my long run yesterday.  And I'm bummed out about it, but it's a distance that I can comfortably run, so I am not going to get too upset about it--it was an accident, and three hours in the ER was out of my control.  Throughout this week, though, the distances start to increase, and I have reached the point where it is important to stay as on track as I possibly can. I also need to be aware of my own needs, though.  Good health is the foundation upon which all of this is built, and this is the only body that I'm gonna get!  I better listen to it.  If I can do that, if I can stay healthy and stay focused and stay motivated and keep running, I will meet my goals.  This may be a slight setback, but it is only temporary, and tomorrow is a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment