Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Running Update

It has been a while since I last wrote about my running endeavors, so I figured it was time.

To say the least, winter has not been kind to my running routine.  My last organized race was the Hot Chocolate 5K on November 3rd, which was an absolute blast and for sure my strongest run to date!  But then, shortly thereafter, I injured my right foot on a run.  Then the busy season started at work, and then the holidays.  I got sick.  Work continued to be busy.  I had a good start with half marathon training in January, but...  I got sick again.  I took on more responsibility at work.  And then we moved.  In addition to all of this, I have come to discover that I really dislike running on the treadmill.  Plus, it has been such a terribly, brutally cold winter in Chicagoland that even if I wanted to run outside, it wouldn't be safe.

So yeah, half marathon training has been temporarily put on hold.  I figured it was best while I navigated through the seas of moving into a new apartment and buying a new car (!!! more coming on that soon).  It's the middle of February, which means we've gotta find an end to this winter sooner or later, and hopefully the extended weather forecast stays exactly the same as it has the last few days--the temperature is supposed to get up to around 50 degrees next week, and I would love to be able to go running outside again!

My next race is the Shamrock Shuffle 8K in Chicago on March 30.  I have been in this situation before, where I've gone longer between runs than I really would have liked... and while it has historically been rough at first, it kind of reminds me of riding a bike and soon enough I am back in the groove.  I still have been working out and staying physically active over the last few weeks, even though I haven't been running as much, and I think that will benefit me as I get back into it.

I am so excited to be able to start running again, and to start exploring.  There is a bike path that starts near the entrance to our apartment complex, a huge cemetery nearby, and lots of residential streets with sidewalks.  I have no doubt in my mind that I will fall back into a routine sooner rather than later and get back on track with half marathon training.  I'll also be able to start adding more dollar bills and quarters to my running jar.  (I plan on writing more about this little piece of motivation before long; soon enough, I hope to purchase myself a brand new pair of running shoes!)

I am still motivated as ever, and I have missed running so much.  Over the last few years, it has become something of a form of meditation for me, and I am grateful that I gave it a chance, so grateful that I gave it a shot on a cold February afternoon a few years back.  4.97 miles in March, 13.1 miles in September.  I can't wait to make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment