Thursday, January 9, 2014

Half Marathon Training: The Beginning

It's getting very close to my anniversary of running, and I can hardly believe it!  It's been almost two years since I started Couch-to-5k (you can read about my C25K journey at Miles of Serendipity), and here I am... two years, many, many miles, and several 5K's later, I have signed up for my first half marathon and am about to embark on training.  If you had told me, even two years ago, that I would be planning on running 13.1 miles, I probably would have laughed at you.  I definitely would have laughed at you four or five years ago.  But that was then, and this is now, and I couldn't be happier with the steps that I have taken to get in shape and to accomplish my goals.

So... half marathon training.  13.1 miles.  I am able to run about a quarter of that distance currently, but I am nowhere near the full distance that is required.  This is definitely going to be an uphill battle, one that is going to take a lot of hard work.  I am motivated and ready, though, and I can't wait to see that mileage increase as I move through my training.  I have been doing a lot of reading and researching before I get started, both to see what I can expect as well as to understand the best way of going about this.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and I certainly cannot fathom just going out there and running 13 miles tomorrow.  There have a been a number of resources that I have found useful as I get started, namely Runner's World and /r/Running on reddit.com.  Cool Running also looks like a useful site, although I haven't done much peeking around there as of yet.


This is my half marathon training schedule (as well as the races I have signed up for so far this year).  It is a 12 week program; this is nice because if I feel stuck on certain weeks, I can repeat them a few times if need be.  The Chicago Half Marathon isn't until September, so I have plenty of time to train.  For now, since Chicagoland has transformed into the Arctic, I'll be utilizing my gym membership--running on the treadmill, cross training on the elliptical and the bikes.  I will also be using the weight machines and free weights, as well as doing yoga to strengthen and stretch (went out yesterday and bought a yoga mat so I can get about it properly!)  As far as yoga is concerned, I have also been doing research and watching videos, and I'm hoping I can take a few classes just to make sure I am aligned and posing properly.

I am super pumped to get back into running regularly.  I had a great routine going, but then November and December happened...  the holiday season is our biggest and busiest part of the year, so that set me back a little bit.  In addition, I also had an injury at the beginning of November, and then I've been sick a few times as well.  I miss having it as part of my routine... I miss running!  And that's how I know I've made it... that's how I know I can call myself a runner.

Monday, it begins.  Join me on the adventure here, and if you see me around, ask me how it's all going!

No comments:

Post a Comment