Friday, February 17, 2017

8 Minute Memoir, Day 15: Camping




In the summer of 2007, Tom and I spent a week camping at Devil's Lake near Baraboo, Wisconsin.  I make no secret of the fact that I love Devil's Lake--it is one of my favorite places in the world.  It is just a beautiful collection of Midwestern natural beauty and there is such a wide variety of things to see.  I love swimming in the lake, hiking the trails, climbing the bluffs (which I haven't actually done in a long time, long before I got into better physical health).  Tom and I got engaged at Devil's Lake, at the end of a hike up the Balancing Rock trail, and so the place also has sentimental meaning to me as well.

Anyway, we'd gone camping the previous summer but this was just the two of us, and for much longer.  It was a great week!  We set up camp and went back into town to get supplies at Aldi.  (We certainly did not purchase any alcoholic beverages with an ID that may or may not have been valid.)  This trip was only the second time in my life that I had ever been camping, besides the occasional backyard camping I did as a kid.  I loved it, spending the entirety of my time outside, sleeping under the stars.  We did a ton of hiking, cooking meals over the campfire, taking afternoon naps, pretty much just doing whatever we wanted.  Devil's Lake covers a pretty significant area so there's a lot to see and explore!  I really didn't want that week to end.

The next summer, in 2008, we made reservations to go camping again at Devil's Lake.  Unfortunately, the Madison/Wisconsin Dells/Baraboo areas received a ton of rainfall and damaging storms.  Many parts of the park were flooded and in need of repair after the severe weather.  We ended up having to cancel our camping reservation, and as of yet we still haven't gone camping again.  Our adventures have just taken us elsewhere.  Hopefully this year will be the year, though!  

No comments:

Post a Comment