Monday, February 27, 2017

8 Minute Memoir, Day 19: Waking Up

Waking up, and my routines around rising, are entirely dependent upon what part of my week I'm in.  As per my work routine, I have a descending schedule where I work later at the beginning of my week and gradually have earlier shifts as I work towards my weekend.  So without further adieu, let's start with...

My Weekend (Thursday-Friday):  I try to be up by 9:30 or 10 at the latest.  Often times I'm still catching up on sleep from getting up so early the day before, which you will read about below!  Yoga is at 8:30 on Friday morning, so if I'm gonna go, ideally I need to be up by 7:45 and out the door by 8:15 at the very latest.  Of course, I'll set the alarm and get up earlier if need be.

Days that I work at 1pm or 12pm (the start of my workweek): Usually up by 8:30 or 9.  I'll go for a run if I have time, or just hang out around the apartment.  I'll take time to write, or tidy things up, or make myself food.  It's a pretty leisurely pace for getting ready and I'm about the door about 40 minutes before my shift starts, just to account for traffic and not being rushed to get settled at work.

Days I work at 8am or 9am: I try to get up a half an hour before I need to leave for work.  During rush hour, it takes me about 45-50 minutes so I really can't be in the car any later than 10 or 15 minutes after the top of the hour.  Sometimes I will shower in the morning; other times I will have showered the night before.  A quick freshen up and I'm on my way (generally without having eaten anything yet, if I have time I'll stop, otherwise I can find something to snack on when I get to work).

Days I work at 7am or 6am:  The gap between "when I need to get up" and "when I need to leave for work" gets a bit smaller.  For example, on Tuesday, when I have to be to work at 7:00, I will set the alarm for 5:50 and allow myself to snooze once (this is a habitual practice: I snooze once, and only once, it has never failed me yet *knock on wood* *crosses fingers*)  I'll be up by 6:00 and I'll be out the door by 6:20 at the latest.

The morning that I have to be there at 4am (Yes, you read that correctly--I work at 4am once a week, generally on Wednesday, or my Friday): First alarm at 3:10, snooze, second alarm 3:20.  Up, dressed, ready, and out the door by 3:30 and no later.  Even still I make it to work about 5-10 minutes before I need to be there, depending on how I hit the lights on Peterson.  I mean, it also helps that there is virtually no traffic on the road at that time of the day--er, night.  I pride myself on my punctuality, even at 4am!

No comments:

Post a Comment