Thursday, November 16, 2017

8 Minute Memoir, Day 30: Road Trip


When I saw this topic come up, I smiled.  I am a sucker for a good road trip.  Being that I live in the city and most of my family lives 1.5+ hours away, that means even a simple visit home can be an easy change of pace.  But what I'm really thinking of are those pack up the car, load up on snacks, passenger seat navigating/dj-ing, long distance adventures.  Throughout the last decade, Tom and I have been lucky enough to have some pretty amazing expeditions!

In 2008, for example, we drove to Colorado with his younger brother.  It was my second time in the state, and it was a really fun trip.  We went in the middle of winter where it was snowy and cold and majestic.  Over New Year's Weekend in 2009, we decided to drive down to Shreveport, Louisiana.  Our reasoning was that we wanted to go somewhere warm and we'd never been there.  It was a rather quick trip, but a memorable one...  The brakes went out on Tom's old Volvo so we were stranded for a few days in a tiny, pretty rural town while they got fixed.   In May 2010, we drove to Las Vegas with a few close friends and had an incredible time out in the desert, a trip that is still one of my favorites.  Later that year, we made a whirlwind trip to Washington D.C. to attend The Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear (when I say whirlwind, I mean, we were there and back in less than 36 hours!)  It was worth it, and certainly makes for a good story!

Then of course, there was the road trip that wasn't to Colorado in 2014, the accident that happened instead. Heartbreaking, but since then we've been able to go on some great adventures.  We've gone to Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska (exciting, I know, haha) and we have plans for more.  I will never pass up an opportunity go on a road trip--I hope that sense of wanderlust never fades.

No comments:

Post a Comment