Wednesday, March 29, 2017

8 Minute Memoir, Day 22: Your Early Reading Life


I credit my early reading life with instilling a love of books in me as an adult, almost three decades into this wild ride.  I have loved reading for as long as I can remember.  Honestly I feel like I've always been reading.  There were the old standbys, Little Golden Books and Berenstain Bears and Love You Forever.  I remember loving reading in elementary school, and I always looked forward to the visit to the library!  Man, even thinking about it now I'm excited about it--going every week, getting to check out a book, getting to read for a little while in the auditorium/conversation pit area of my grade school library.

There was AR, Accelerated Reader, where even in 5th and 6th grade I was reading at an upperclassman high school reading level.  Everyone checked out Gone With The Wind in an attempt to take and pass that test, which was worth an absurd amount of points.  And who doesn't remember Book It?  Book It always provided a great return on its investment--a personal pan pizza, a sticker on my Book It pin (I had 2 or 3 of them; believe me, I really wish I knew where they were now!)  I was the kid who would sneak peeks at my books during classes where I probably should have been doing something else, staying up way too late on a school night to finish just one more chapter.

So as I said before, I still love reading now.  I live in a relatively small apartment so I don't have room for a ton of books but believe me, someday, when we have a condo or a house, I'l have something more closely resembling a library.  I have always loved the way that reading can transport you with complete ease to another world, another reality, another place in time.  A good book can change a life.  And I think somehow I've always known that.


No comments:

Post a Comment