Sunday, January 15, 2017

8 Minute Memoir, Day 8: Birthdays

 

[top: one of many large fruity boozy concoctions I drank that weekend.
bottom: youngins at the Hoover Dam, aw!]

My birthday falls on the 4th of March.  I have always thought this a rather interesting time of the year to have a birthday, for a number of reasons.  I mean, living in Illinois meant that occasionally, my birthday would fall on Casimir Pulaski Day, the first Monday in March--and I'd get the day off!  Which, of course, was awesome as a kid.  Another thing about it is the weather... it is totally and completely unpredictable.

For example: in 8th grade, I flew with several of my classmates out to Washington DC for the annual class trip.  It was kind of a big deal that I was being allowed to go as this was only 6 months after 9/11, but I had such an amazing time on that trip and I learned a lot.  I've only been back to DC once since then and I really need to remedy that!  Anyway, we were due to fly home on my birthday and we ended up getting stranded at Dulles for a few hours, delayed because of snow.  And when we finally landed in Chicago, and got home past midnight, it was indeed so snowy, and icy, and cold.  Other times, though, it can be a rather nice day!  Totally just depends.

Of course, one of my most memorable birthdays was my 21st birthday (isn't it for almost everyone though?)  On the night of my actual birthday, we went out to a few bars; many alcoholic beverages were consumed on that fateful night.  The next morning--yes, the day after my birthday--I went to my 8am class and may have been still slightly intoxicated for my midterm on John Milton (still pulled off an average grade on it!)  What made that birthday especially exciting though is that I went on a weekend trip to Las Vegas--a long promised gift--with Tom, my parents, and my uncle and his girlfriend.  My first trip to Vegas, on my first weekend of being 21.  I've been several times since then, but I will always hold that trip close to my heart.

This year, I will be turning 29.  Sometimes I still feel like an awkward 17 year old, but here I am, doing pretty alright at this whole "grown up" thing, I think!  As of right now, I don't have anything solidly planned for my birthday, though I do hope to be in the midst of my vacation, so long as my time off is approved.  I kind of like it that way... there is more potential for fun and adventure that way!  No matter what I end up doing, I will certainly take some time on the 4th to reflect on the year I'll be leaving and all of the goodness that lies ahead.  Another trip around the sun!  What an opportunity!

(Speaking of... happy birthday to my dad!)

No comments:

Post a Comment