Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Jess Goes Running: Life, Post Half Marathon

So, a little over a week has passed since the Chicago Half Marathon.  I still can't believe I did it, yet I am so happy and so proud of my accomplishment.  Though it was the most mentally and physically challenging thing that I have ever done in my life, I had so much fun and really think I grew a lot over the course of the experience (both the months leading up to the race and the half itself).

The first few days were really rough.  I was definitely sore on Sunday after the race, with most of the pain centered from the waist down, muscle aches and pains in my legs.  When I woke up on Monday morning, for a very early opening shift at work, I was sore and weak all over my body, from head to toe.  To say that I was definitely "feeling it" was an understatement, haha.  Though I spent a lot of time sitting on the couch over the next two and a half days, I also made sure I took time to stretch and go on short walks around the apartment complex.  By the time Thursday rolled around, I was still feeling a little residual soreness here and there, but generally seemed to be back to my normal self.

On Sunday afternoon, a week since 13.1, I went on my first run.  Not only was it my first run post race, but it was also my first run in brand new running shoes.  I went with another pair of New Balance trail running shoes; I run on a variety of different kinds of terrain and they are supportive, yet lightweight.  They promote good posture and they are comfortable even after 13 miles!  (Not a paid advertisement or anything of that sort--I just love these shoes!)  I was so impressed with how they held up during the half that I decided I wanted to continue the journey.  I went for another run today, and so far, these shoes have lived up to every expectation.



(Brand new kicks... and early fall colors on my Sunday run.)

Though a break to restore my muscles and regain my energy was necessary, I am glad to have returned to running.  I ran 3.1 miles on Sunday and 4.01 miles earlier this afternoon, and it feels great to be back.  I mentioned in my last post that I am planning on running the Hot Chocolate 15K in November; I am hoping to register for that sometime in the next week or two.  I'm looking forward for another chance to run in the city, and I really enjoyed the Hot Chocolate 5K last year.  And after that, we'll see.  Right now, I'm just looking forward to the opportunity to improve the quality and quantity of my running and become stronger.  I know that I can do anything I set my mind to, and there is no better time that the present.  Stay tuned for more running adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment