Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Short Post from the Porch

Today is a Tuesday, but it's Saturday in my world, at least for the foreseeable future.  Yesterday, I went back to work--and then went right into my weekend--but it truly and honestly was nice to be there... a return to normalcy after a near death experience and a weird week.  Initially, I thought I would be sad to return to work, the post vacation blues.  Instead, I found myself relieved to put my key in the lock and get back into the swing of things.

The pervasive thoughts of "Holy shit, we survived that!" have faded into a more quiet refrain of, "Of course we survived that.  Clearly we have things to do still."  As it if were obvious that we came back to Chicago together, as if there wouldn't have been any other way.  Still, I am grateful, thankful, relieved, because I know that it could have been desperately much worse.  Right now, I am sitting on our balcony in the shade, enjoying the breeze and the greenery and the planes taking off from O'Hare, just to the north of us.  A cloudless blue sky, 79 degrees and sunny--a gorgeous day, a preamble to what is sure to be a beautiful summer.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment