Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Half Marathon Training: Week 1, Day 3




The first few days of training have been... interesting, to say the least.  I dove headfirst into the schedule and, feeling ambitious, decided to pair both a 30 day squat challenge and a 30 day sit up challenge as well.  The first day was great.  The second day... to say I was sore is a huge understatement.  I made it through my 3 mile run, and Day 2 of both challenges, but work was rough and moving even this morning was a little difficult.  Ugh.  Sometimes I overachieve and have a hard time admitting it.  Go big or go home, right?

Today, Day 3, the plan called for either a 2 mile run or cross training.  I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and went for a walk around the neighborhood.  I ended up going for a 2 mile walk, listening to Lana Del Ray and exploring the area near our apartment complex.  The above photos are from my walk.  I love that we moved to an area with such a varied amount of scenery.  When I finally made my way back to the apartment, I found that even though I was still sore, I was feeling much better.

On Day 4, the program calls for a 3 mile run.  I plan on taking it easy, but I am confident in my abilities to complete the run.  Despite the muscle soreness, I am feeling really good mentally and physically.  The soreness is feeling less like pain and more like strength.  I am capable and I can do this.  A month from now, I'll be doing my half marathon training in one of my favorite places on Earth.  And that, the thought of running there, and many other amazing places this upcoming spring and summer, well... that's damn good motivation through the rough spots.  

So that's the view from Week 1, Day 3.  Tomorrow is a brand new day, and another opportunity to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment