Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Collection of Things

I.
"From 2010 to 2012, Eric Garcetti worked as an actor on the TV cop shows The Closer and its spin-off series Major Crimes. He played the mayor of Los Angeles. Then in 2013, he ran for the office of L.A.'s mayor in real life, and won. It was a spectacular example of Kurt Vonnegut's suggestion that we tend to become what we pretend to be. Your assignment Pisces, is to make good use of this principle. I invite you to experiment with pretending to be the person you would like to turn into."
from Free Will Astrology, week of February 20, 2014.

I think I like the sound of that.

II.
Since we moved into the apartment, the husband and I have been doing a lot more cooking together, making more meals at home.  It's something I really enjoy, and look forward to doing more of it.  Last night, I made tacos and refried beans--the perfect dinner for a relaxed Saturday night at home.  I hope to expand my repertoire of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, and also get into baking more often, especially so I can use my stand mixer!  I really like our kitchen and I am looking forward to seeing what sort of culinary adventures we can we ourselves into!

III.
The other day, we experienced a brief, momentary thaw.  I also happened to have the day off from work, and after I woke up and did a little bit of cleaning up around the apartment, I went for my first outdoor run of 2014.  It was also my first run since we moved, and I have to say, I think I am really going to enjoy racking up some mileage around here.  The trail near our apartment complex is really nice and there are also sidewalks everywhere for ease of running.

The sun was shining and the sky was a crisp, clear blue.  It really wasn't that cold, but the puddles that I was unable to avoid were a little bit more than chilly.  It was also a very slow run, being my first run in over a month (since I put half marathon training on hold) but it felt good to be out there.  It gave me hope for when it finally starts getting warmer, for when I can finally start running all the time.  I know it won't be long now.

Truthfully, though, I think if I want to be on track for running the Shamrock Shuffle 8K at the end of March, I need to just deal with it and start running outside again.  I have enough adequate clothing to dress in layers and, really, hopefully only a few more weeks of 20 degree and below temperatures.  I think I can tough it out, especially since the stressors that I have been dealing with for the vast majority of this last month have mostly been resolved.


No comments:

Post a Comment